Monday, October 5, 2009

Back in the kitchen...

As week three comes to a close, I continue the pursuit of delicious. Here are a few recipes that were a hit in my house over the past few days. . . .

Fig, Mushroom, and Green Onion Pizza
Saute chopped figs, mushrooms (I used maitake), and green onions in a tsp or less of olive oil. Spread out on tortilla. Bake in 350 degree F preheated oven for 1o minutes or so. (If you have time to make your own whole wheat crust, this recipe is really wonderful.)

*A serious favorite. Pacato tried to distract me so he could steal mine even after I told him it wouldn't be as delicious as the one I made him with salt and extra oil.

Dutch Pancake
Combine cooked grain (quinoa or bulgur work well) with your morning eggs, fruit (apples and berries are good), and ground cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, or whatever spices you like. Pour in cast iron skillet and bake in preheated 400 degree F oven for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake for 5 more minutes. Drizzle with agave.


*This scrumptious idea came from my friend Anne. It's the first thing I've cooked that actually tasted like something non-PCP. You can also make it savory or cook in the microwave or on the stovetop.

Salmon Papillotes with Fennel, Potatoes, and Olives
Place large baking sheet on bottom rack of oven. Remove other racks. Preheat to 400 degrees F. Cut fennel lengthwise, carrots diagonally, and potatoes into 1/8-inch thick slices. Keep separate. Blanch separately in boiling water (fennel—2 minutes, carrots—1 minute, potatoes—2 minutes.) Transfer fennel and carrots to bowl of ice water and drain. Drain potatoes. Toss fennel and carrots with chopped olives, lemon zest, thyme, minced garlic, dash of olive oil, and black pepper to taste. Put potatoes in center of parchment paper squares. Top with salmon and fennel mixture. Gather sides of parchment up to form a pouch, leaving no openings and tie tightly with string. Bake on preheated sheet for 20 minutes. Serve immediately.

*Modified from my friend Bailarina's favorite salmon recipe. Pacato also did his own version of salmon packets in the steamer, and they turned out really nicely.

Arugula Salad with Steamed Sweet Potato and Avocado
That's all. 

*I stumbled upon this one as I tried to use up my leftovers. Quite possibly the best salad I have ever had—no lie. I ate it for breakfast alongside the Dutch pancake.

Popcorn with Lime and Chili Powder
Simple enough. Also from my friend Anne. (Hopefully popcorn's allowed?)

Steamed Scallops
Turns out I love steamed scallops with a passion that's difficult to match. I've been buying them frozen and throwing them into the bamboo steamer for 6-7 minutes. 

How do you guys like to cook fish?

Speaking of being in the kitchen, I just finished putting together tomorrow's breakfast and lunch, based on our new diet plans for the week! I'll be back tomorrow or later this week with more general observations. For now, it's time to get my eight hours. . . .

9 comments:

  1. Popcorn is cool as long as you measure it and it's unsalted and unbuttered of course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so good! My enthusiasm for the PCP diet is seriously waning. Glad you posted this because I need some proper inspiration for dinners and breakfasts.

    I' m s o b o r e d o f e g g s

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! What energy you have for creating recipes! Fantastic! I'll have to add these to my files.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, what's allowed on PCP? I have a great butternut squash & arugula salad recipe with warm cider vinaigrette--seriously yummy. Has nuts and cheese--you could certainly skip the cheese.
    for some reason I can't paste a link in here but its on the Food Network site....just search for Barefoot Contessa butternut squash salad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Kiwi! That looks delicious. We can't have salt, juice, or nuts (and only a little olive oil), but that recipe looks like I can easily adapt it. And I can add walnuts to Pacato's portion. Yum, I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. P.S. Naomi, oh no! Have you tried scrambled egg pizza or a mini quiche—things like that? I think Patrick has a post somewhere about how to make eggs more palatable.

    Oh, here it is! Did you see this?
    http://peakconditionproject.blogspot.com/2008/06/day-77-how-to-eat-5-egg-whites-day.html

    I bet you could do yummy deviled eggs w/o mayo too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Emily, you must have some kind of food related esp! Your yummy recipes seem to get posted the day that I'm making a shopping list. Hadn't thought of steamed scallops, and I'm sooo going to make the arugala salad for tomorrow's lunch.

    Keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Been totally rocking the figs here. I love them and I just saw a recipe for fig and mushroom pasta recently on Nibble Dish i am going to try. Well, okay, I think i like the pizza idea better. We have been using a thin flatbread we found of respectable origin that makes great wraps or thin crust pizza. Awesome!

    Totally want to use my iron skillet more. i just bought one a few months ago and need to get better at managing the seasoning and heat transfer. But, I think I am going to like it. Thanks for posting a recipe I will try in it! Sweet!

    ReplyDelete