Monday, September 28, 2009

What's Cookin'?

I say it's time for a recipe swap! 

I've adopted cumin seeds, thanks to Naomi; gone crazy for figs at Shelly's suggestion; and Jonti and Denise, I still haven't quite gotten down the hard-boiled egg peeling.

What else is going on in your PCP kitchens?

I've been using a lot of different whole grains: oats, quinoa, brown rice, and I recently found some farro (delicious!). I usually just make them plain or with a little pepper since I tend to mix all my food together. Spelt bread is also a hit at my house. At breakfast, I sometimes roast plum tomatoes on bread with just a touch of olive oil, plus pepper and thyme.

Alice Waters's cookbook, Vegetables, is an excellent source of simple recipes that are easily adaptable for our diet. 

Taken on a pre-PCP night when we were particularly proud of our culinary accomplishments.

Her chilled tomato soup recipe (pictured above) is nice on its own or used in burritos or salads. Basically, it's:

4 lbs tomatoes (various), diced (Waters uses a food mill. I do not.)
3 shallots, diced
1 small cucumber, seeded and diced
2 stalks celery, diced
Vinegar (Your favorite...I've tried plum and apple cider. She uses white wine.)

Let shallots sit in a small bowl, just covered with vinegar. Then combine with tomatoes, cucumber, and celery. Add balsamic if tomatoes need sweetness. You can also add mashed garlic or garnish with diced hot and bell peppers. Serve cold.

I made a batch and froze it in individual portions.

Speaking of freezing, I got a little overzealous about buying vegetables this week and decided to freeze my Brussels sprouts (my all-time favorite vegetable except for maybe fennel) and wax beans with the help of this awesome piece in the New York Times.

Other faves:
*Tuna and egg salad with avocado and lemon juice as a base instead of mayo

*Shrimp marinated in a little agave, a splash of lime, ginger, and chili powder before cooking

*Apples or figs baked with cinnamon, nutmeg, and clove (can also add a little agave, oats, and raisins)

Tonight, my beau, Pacato, took the PCP Top Chef Challenge and made some delicious beets. He chopped them raw in the food processor and mixed with a touch of apple cider vinegar and some raisins. He also steamed some chard and onions, and I threw in some farro and halibut I topped with cumin seeds (again—thanks Naomi!).


That's just a taste of what's been going on in my kitchen. I hope you'll share your favorite recipes and tricks, either in the comments or on your own blog!

10 comments:

  1. Hi Emily, that meal looks great! I also sometimes use tomatoe puree (concentrate) as a base for pizza on tortilla wraps. It's 100% tomato so it should be fine to eat. I'm going to use it as my base for ketchup! Glad you're liking that cumin. It's a good feeling putting new foods on the map isn't it? Not sure what spelt bread is but I wanna try it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mega-yum! Emily, you've inspired me to get a little more creative in the kitchen. and try your ginger lime shrimp.

    My cupboards are stocked with all kinds of grain, recently wheatberries and barley (super tasty!), but I'm also going to have to try farro at your suggestion.

    Keep the recipes coming!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Naomi—tortilla pizza is a great idea! Raisins are the only dried fruit I've tried so far...I've been afraid b/c I wasn't sure if it qualified...but mainly b/c once I start eating it, I can't stop! In general, though, my faves are mango, pineapple, and papaya (which I don't like fresh).

    Shelly—I've been meaning to try wheatberries! I love bulgur, too, but it hasn't hit the rotation since I've been making grains in bulk.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd also like to know what dried fruit people are eating. So far I've been eating dried figs and apricots but I've not ventured further.

    Cont....Ive been afraid to eat too many dried figs too, because they're just so sweet - they cant be right.

    I hope I'm also free to eat the tomato puree..see what Patrick has to say about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea Emily,

    I am pulling some new recipes together. We have been exploring couscous much lately. Easy to fix and easy to spice with a special batch of Ras El Hanout. It is a great background to both vegetables and sparing dried fruits. I have a couple of Moroccan books I flip through now and again. My next venture will hopefully be to start exploring my own version of the spice blend. Yumm.

    I do love Wheatberries, and their little crunch. Perfect with some greek style yogurt. Bonus, they also stay well in the fridge for a few days if you cook a batch at once.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Delicious! I live near a stretch of really amazing Middle Eastern markets. I should check them out.

    I seem to recall reading a past post of E's that had some spice blend suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  8. One the egg peeling tip:

    There's always a spot in the egg where there is a little bit of air between the egg and the shell. Make your crack there and you'll be able to pull off larger pieces of shell.

    ReplyDelete
  9. *Tuna and egg salad with avocado and lemon juice as a base instead of mayo

    OH MY GOD YOU ARE A GENIUS

    ReplyDelete
  10. Allie, it's really awesome. Today I added chopped celery, fresh dill, and cumin seeds...perfecto!

    ReplyDelete