Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Shiver Me Timbers...

Week 8!

If this was the 17th century, and we were pilgrims, we'd be almost to Plymouth by now. Luckily, we're not . . . I get seasick.

Also, pilgrim bounty probably doesn't look like this:

The perils of shopping when you're hungry

Especially in the winter. I mean, they probably had to forage for their maitake mushrooms. The funny part is that all of that food will probably be gone before the week's up.

This week's what-on-earth-is-this buy was persimmons. I've never had one. Last week's was romanesco (you have to say it with an accent—rrrromanesco—and sort of throw your hands into the air or toss around your flamenco skirt, whichever) which I served with Naomi's delicious curry.

Behold the romanesco!

P.S. Don't worry. An abundance of greens are coming with Thursday's farm share.

P.P.S. Guess who's currently reading Sarah Vowell?

P.P.S.S. Not that pilgrims would say "shiver me timbers," but it's not often a girl gets to talk like a pirate. And since we were at sea anyway . . .

5 comments:

  1. You'll have to let us know what on earth to do with the persimmon. I keep seeing them, but pass them up.

    Hey, I've got that same book in my "need to read pile"!

    A favorite threadless T quote:
    "To Err is Human, but to Arr is Pirate"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a persimmon sitting here on my desk. I bought a bag of them last week. They seemed hard, like really hard. I think it is softening up and will venture to try it today. I sort of remember having one as a kid, but don't remember the taste. Let me know how it goes.

    Aye, matey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmmm, looking at that food makes me salivate, like looking at a bowl of fries used to!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was rereading your post again and that sexy food photo. But, hey? Is Pacato working out with you more? Because it totally looks like you are standing on his shoulders. I guess all those muscles you are developing made it easy to climb on up!

    Nice job with the photo. (grin)

    ReplyDelete