Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Two Miles in the Snow . . . Uphill Both Ways

We belong to the Park Slope Food Coop (which has something of a reputation.) It's about a half mile from our house, but two cartons of eggs, a butternut squash, sweet potatoes, onions, eight gazillion bananas, milk (for Pacato), six pieces of frozen salmon, a box of clementines (mmm . . . clementines), whatever else looks good and in season, and $137 later, it feels like miles and miles and miles.


The walk home is about the time my PCP gratitude really kicks in. My heart's pumping. Thump thump thump thump. My arms are about to give out. I am thinking, how on earth would I get all this food home if I didn't have all these muscles?


Granted, if i wasn't doing PCP right now, I probably wouldn't be buying so many groceries. Nor would I be thinking strategy in the produce aisle (heaviest, most colorful possible veggies plus greens equals meal.)

Details, details. . . .


Mmm . . . clementines

Happy Day 80, everyone!

5 comments:

  1. Our bill at the coop is *always* $135. It's kind of spooky. Is that the cost of as-much-food-as-you-can-carry?

    Haven't yet succumbed to the clementines...

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've unfortunately started keeping track of how much we spend there every month. *gulp*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your co-op, even after reading about their reputation and membership requirements. Good for y'all for keeping up and doing good. The co-op's here are more limited in what they carry and not as active.

    And, you know what you pay for good food now is helping reduce costs in your future life. Maybe you can do lunges & creeps on the way home for your leg workout? Kidding. :o

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with Jonti! It's so great that you're investing in quality food AND the sources that bring us that fine eating today, rather than spending it later on doctor's bills.

    Sorry, I'm about halfway through my M. Pollan book and all fired up now. I was just lecturing D last night about how we MUST investigate food sources and vote with our purchasing dollars...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Believe it or not, when you include the savings from skipping restaurants, impulse snacks and alcohol you're probably spending less on food than before.

    ReplyDelete