Sunday, December 13, 2009

Parting Thoughts...

Before I wax poetic and all that about this experience, I really want to express my gratitude to . . .

  1. My halfside, Pacato, the best teammate EVER (who never broke a sweat no matter what kind of mood I threw at him)
  2. Patrick and Chen, who ran the show and led the way (particularly, Patrick, in the areas of enthusiasm, knowledge, encouragement, and balance)
  3. My core group, Shelly, Naomi, Denise, and Jonti, for their empathy, humor, and wonderful example
  4. The past PCPers whose presence and accomplishments were inspiring
  5. All of you who have been reading, commenting on the blog and other online outlets, and offering your support in person—your presence has made this experiment that much more worthwhile


You will all be handsomely rewarded at the end of this post with a


GRATUITOUS BIKINI SHOT.


Leading up to the end of the project, Patrick issued a challenge: visit the gym. I confess to giving the gym my money for the past three months without actually popping in to say hello, and it was with some trepidation that I met this assignment. It felt to me like “go forth to the locker rooms and judge.” I’m in no position to cast stones. I tripped up plenty on PCP (minor addictions to cookie-baking and dried fruit.) Just three months ago, I was a hamster on the treadmill, plugging away, thinking “Not much seems to be changing, but at least I’m here.” But let’s be fair. We do the best we can with the information we have, and we’ve gotten ourselves into quite a pickle. What started decades ago with the best of intentions—processing foods that will feed your family for less money and time—has backfired into a costly cycle of obesity and disease. (To really hammer this point home, check out these maps.) How can we begrudge anyone who is trying to reverse the damage?


The problem is, the real workout isn’t in the gym. It’s in your kitchen. Change your diet, and you will change your life. Three months with no other choice isn’t a bad place to start. If you’re thinking about signing up for PCP, do it. Three months go by so quickly. It’s not easy, and it’s not always fun. But in the end you come out with a real prize you can show off—yourself. And you’ll probably get a bonus reward of seeing the changes you make influence the people around you.


Ultimately, I saw Patrick’s challenge (Observation #1: the gym smells), and I raised it: I cancelled my membership. By now, I am confident I can get a complete workout at home. Even better, I plan to spend my monthly gym money playing capoeira, revisiting the horseback riding lessons of my childhood, and trying to make yoga a regular part of my life. I’ve always been a serial hobbyist, and why shouldn’t I have fun with my new physique?


Which brings me to the Big Reveal. Let’s take a look back at Day 1, shall we?





And finally, what we've all been waiting for . . .


THE GRATUITOUS BIKINI SHOT.




If you're curious, I weigh only two pounds less in the bottom photo than in the top . . . so THROW YOUR SCALE AWAY.


I started this challenge intending to become a TOTAL BADASS. And you know what? Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.







Thanks, everyone!


P.S. Patrick? I believe this is the point at which you COMPLETE me. I've always wanted to have a reason to say that.

10 comments:

  1. You're looking absolutely faaaaabulous!! Congratulations on making it through!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wowza, Emily!!

    If the cold and dreary Northeastern winters aren't reason enough for a warm holiday get-away, that bikini shot sure as shooting is! All of that hard work certainly paid off because you look HAWT!

    Way to rock this PCP! Best wishes for the holidays and a fabulous 2010 to you and your man!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! Pingo! You look mad hot and you write so wonderfully too!

    -bailarina

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent result Emily. You showed focus and determination but never lost the joy of the work. To see that much of the abdominus rectus on a female, in the middle of winter, is an amazing accomplishment. Few will understand how hard that is but everyone will know how great you look.

    It was a pleasure working with you and bringing the badassitude!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone! I couldn't have done it without all of your support! After one day off plus some chocolate and thai-roasted cashews, I can't believe I actually want to get up and jump rope in the morning. Patrick, I think you're on to something....

    ReplyDelete
  6. You ass-kicker, you! And I second Bailarina's comment--you're a great writer, to boot. Have a great holiday and we'll see you in the New Year for SURE.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mrs. Kutcher should be worried. I think you have GI Jane beat. I am so inspired by your photos.

    Emily, you rocked it hard and let both the tough days and the fun days be shared. Thank you! It was a blast reading your escapades. Have an awesome holiday, grab some yummies from the market and keep bringing it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope you still check this, because I want to say you RULE and you're reason I did this bad-boy. I have you to thank! Oh, and, you're someone's INSPIRATION (did you see that?). But you were mine, first.

    Ate logo!!!

    ReplyDelete